Thursday, October 1, 2026

Uthmân bin Affân رضي الله عنه: The Edict, Objections, Caliphate Defense and Events of 35 AH

Edict of Uthmân

Every governor also received order from the Caliph to this effect. Thus following the orders, all the governors reached Makkah on the occasion of the Hajj. In accordance with the scheme of Abdullah bin Saba, his followers set out from every province and center but arrived in Al-Madinah instead of Makkah. On the occasion of Hajj, Uthmân bin Affân announced among the governors his readiness to listen to complaints but not a single person rose to lodge any complaint. Those present in the assembly of the Caliph were bent on finding ways and means of eradicating the troubles. But their discussions took a long time without any outcome. At this point Uthmân bin Affân said addressing them: "Trouble is bound to appear in the near future, but I don't like to be blamed for it, for whatever I have done, it was solely for the welfare of the people." This utterance of the Caliph silenced them all.

Uthmân came back to Al-Madinah after performing the Hajj. He then assembled those from outside and invited Ali, Talhah and Zubair also. Mu’âwiyah (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) who had accompanied the Caliph from Makkah was also present. First of all Mu’âwiyah (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) got up and addressed the assembly saying: "All of you, being the Companions of the Prophet, and men of sense and sound judgment, are the guardians of the Ummah. It is you who elected your fellow Uthmân..." bin Affân as the Caliph without any favor. As now he has grown old, many things are heard from far and near. In case you have arrived at any decision regarding this, speak your mind and I am ready to reply. However, if you have developed greed for the caliphate, you will get nothing but taking a flight with your backs turned." Ali (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) got enraged at the last sentence and rebuked him and he sat down silently.

Following this, Uthmân bin Affân rose to address and said: "Abu Bakr and Umar Faruq, after becoming Caliph, practiced caution concerning their relatives with an eye on accountability, although the Prophet took care of his relatives and extended help to them. My relatives are poor and so I do the needful for them. I am ready to do away with my practice if you prove it invalid and unlawful."

Objections:

Uthmân bin Affân had spoken this much when a man got up and raised the objection: "You unlawfully gave away wealth and property to your relatives; for instance, you once gave the entire booty to Abdullah bin Saad." Uthmân replied: "I have given him one-fifth from the one-fifth of the booty. And we have such examples during the caliphates of Abu Bakr and Umar."

Another person said: "You have conferred power and rules on your relatives; for instance, you have appointed Mu’âwiyah (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) bin Abu Sufyân governor of the entire Syria. You made Abdullah bin Âmir governor of Basrah by deposing Abu Musa Ash’ari (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ); you installed Walid bin Uqbah and then Saeed bin Al-Âs (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) governors of Kufah by removing Mughirah bin Shu'bah." Uthmân bin Affân replied, "Those governors are not my relatives and they have ability to manage the affairs well. However, if they don't deserve the post, I am always ready to change them for others. Thus I have already put Abu Musa Ash’ari (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) as the governor of Kufah by removing Saeed bin Al-Âs (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ)."

Then the third person objected: "You have appointed undeserving and inexperienced persons as governors; for instance, Abdullah bin Âmir is a young man and, he should not have been given such a high post." Uthmân replied, "Abdullah bin Âmir is distinguished in prudence, ability and religiosity; being young is not a shortcoming."

Yet another person got up and said: "You love family members most, and you give them heavy gifts." Uthmân replied, "Love of the family members is not a sin. And I give them gifts from my own possessions not from the public treasury. How can I give them anything from the public treasury when I myself don't take a single dirham from there? I am at liberty to give away anything to anybody from my personal property."

One more person rose to say: "You have used your position for your self and reserved grazing ground for your camels." Uthmân replied, "When I took charge of the caliphate, nobody in Al-Madinah had camels more than me. But, today I possess only two camels and that only for the purpose of Hajj, and I don't allow them to go to any meadow. However, there is a reserved grazing ground for the state camels and I cannot be blamed for this because this has come to me from the past."

One of them questioned: "Why did you offer the complete prayer in Mina while it should have been a Qasr (shortened one)?" Uthmân bin Affân replied: "Since my family members were then residing in Makkah, it was valid for me not to perform a Qasr (shortened) prayer."

In short, objections of this nature were raised and Uthmân bin Affân answered them fully and thoroughly. At the end of the assembly, the people left silently. Amr bin Al-Âs (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) then said to Uthmân bin Affân, "You are more polite to them than what is needed. This was not the way of Umar, governors at a distance of hundreds of miles dreaded him more than the slaves at his service. One should be treated politely so far as there is no danger of any disturbance. Why don't you slay those about whom you know very well that they are creating a rift and confusion among the Muslims?" Hearing this Uthmân bin Affân kept silent.

Events of 35 AH

The governors of various provinces began to leave Al-Madinah. When Mu’âwiyah (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ), the governor of Syria decided to depart, he came to Uthmân bin Affân and said, "I anticipate an attack on you and you may not be able to resist it. It's better for you to accompany me to Syria, for the Syrians are loyal and lend their full support to me." Uthmân bin Affân replied, "On no account shall I abandon the proximity and neighborhood of the Prophet." Having heard this Mu’âwiyah (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) said, "Let me send you an army from Syria to guard you against any eventuality." Uthmân said, "I am not in favor of putting my neighbors into trouble." Hearing this Mu’âwiyah (رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ) said, "You are bound to be deceived." In reply to this Uthmân bin Affân said, "Allâh is enough for me and what an Excellent Supporter He is." After which he remained silent.

Mu'âwiyah then left the place and came to Ali, Talhah and Zubair and after requesting them to provide protection to Uthmân bin Affân, he set off for Syria.

No comments:

Post a Comment