Friday, October 2, 2026

Abdul Malik bin Marwan: Life, Scholarship, Caliphate and Legacy

Abdul Malik bin Marwan

Abdul Malik bin Marwan bin Hakam bin Abul Aas bin Umayya bin Abd Shams bin Abd Manáf bin Qussai bin Kilab was born in Ramadân 23 A.H. His familiar name (Arabic: kunya) was Abu Waleed. He was also known as Abul Mulook (father of kings) because several of his sons sat on the throne in succession. Yahya Ghassâni says: "Abdul Malik was accustomed to sitting near Umm Darda (رضی اللہ عنہا). Once she asked, 'I have heard that you have taken to drinking after being a devotee.' He replied, 'I have turned into a blood-sucker too.' Nâfi' says: "No youth in Madinah was as active, wise, conversant with the Qur'ân and Hadith, religious and ascetic as Abdul Malik." Abu Zanad says: "Sayeed bin Al-Musayyib, Abdul Malik bin Marwan, 'Urwah bin Zubair and Qabisah bin Zuwaib are the scholars of Islamic jurisprudence of Madinah." Ubada bin Muthanna asked, Ibn Umar (رضی اللہ عنہما). "Whom should we consult for verdicts (Literally questions. This refers to questions about Islamic law)" He replied, "Marwan's son is a 'faqih'. You should ask him".

One day when Abdul Malik called on Abu Huraira (رضی اللہ عنہ), he said, "One day this man will become the king of 'Arabia". Umm Darda (رضی اللہ عنہا) said to Abdul Malik, "I knew beforehand that you would be a king." He asked, "How?" She said, "I did not find anyone better than you both as a speaker and as a listener." Sha'bi says: "Who ever sat in my company became an admirer of my superior knowledge but I have become an admirer of Abdul Malik's excellent knowledge. Whenever I narrated a 'hadith', he always added something to it, and whenever I recited a Verse, he also recited Verses dealing with the same theme."

Dhhbi says, "Abdul Malik heard 'Ahadith' (traditions of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) from Uthman (رضی اللہ عنہ), Abu Huraira (رضی اللہ عنہ), Abu Sayeed (رضی اللہ عنہ), Ibn 'Umar (رضی اللہ عنہ), Umm Salamah (رضی اللہ عنہا), Barirah (رضی اللہ عنہما) and Muawiya (رضی اللہ عنہ) while Urwa, Khalid bin Sa'dân, Raja bin Haiwa, Zuhri, Yunus bin Maisara. Rabia bin Yazid, Ismail bin Obaidullah, Jarir bin Uthman heard traditions from Abdul Malik.

Yahya Ghassani says: "When Muslim bin Oqaba arrived in Madinah, I went to Masjid Nabawi and sat beside Abdul Malik. He asked me whether I was also in his army. I replied in the affirmative. He said: "You have raised your arm against the person who was the first born of all the emigrants of Islam. He is the Prophet's Companion and a descendent of Datun-Nitaqain and for whom the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) did 'Tahneek' (This is the process of chewing dates for a new born infant. In this section Abdul Malik bin Marwan is referring to Abdullah bin Zubair رضي الله عنه. And the greatest thing I observed about him was that whenever I met him in the day, I found him observing fast and whenever I met him at night, I always found him standing in 'Salat' (prayer). Remember! Who ever fights against him, will be thrown upside down into Hell by Allâh." However, when Abdul Malik sat on the throne, he sent Hajjâj to fight against Abdullah bin Zubair (رضی اللہ عنہ) and Hajjaj killed him.

Juraij says that following Abdullah bin Zubair's martyrdom, Abdul Malik delivered the following sermon he said:

"I am neither a weak caliph like Uthman (رضی اللہ عنہ) nor a lazy caliph like Muawiya (رضی اللہ عنہ) nor a caliph with weak opinions like Yazid. All the caliphs before me had been eating from treasure (under their possession) I will remedy it with my sword only. You should raise your spears in my support. You hold me responsible to act as the 'Muhajirun' acted yet you yourselves do not act as they did. Remember, I shall torture you to death and the sword will be the judge between you and me. Keep watching what my sword makes of you. I shall tolerate all that you say but I cannot stand your opposition to the ruler. I shall tie their acts around their necks without hearing those who threaten with Allâh's fear."

It was Abdul Malik who first covered the Ka'bah with a silk curtain. Somebody said to him, "Amir al-Muminin! You have aged fast." He said, "Why not? I spend my best wisdom on the people every Friday." When another person asked him, "Who is the best among men?" He replied, "He who though enjoying high status, shows his humility, prefers renunciation of the world though powerful, and does justice though in authority." When a man who did not know him visited him, he used to tell him, "Keep in mind four things: first, don't tell a lie for I hate it very much; second, answer what I ask; third, don't praise me for I know what I am; and fourth, don't incite me in respect to my subjects for they need my kindness."

Madaini says, "When Abdul Malik was sure of his death, he said, "I have been longing to be a ascetic since my birth." Then he called his son Waleed and exhorted him to fear Allâh and avoid internal dissensions and said:

"Be active in war, be an example in good deeds, for war does not call death before its time. Good deeds ensure a good reward and Allâh helps in distress. Be soft in hard situations and shun inviting resentment for a single arrow can easily be broken by anyone but none can break arrows when they are tied together. O Waleed! I make you caliph and in this matter, you must have fear of Allâh. Take care of Hajjaj who has delivered you the caliphate consider him to be your right hand and sword, he will safeguard you against your foes: don't listen to anyone's complaint against him; and remember! you need Hajjaj more than he needs you and when I die, take 'bay'at' from all and cut off the head of he who refuses."

When he was in the agonies of death, Waleed came to him and began to weep. Abdul Malik said, "What is the use of weeping like a girl? Get ready after my death and put your sword on your shoulder with courage and chop off the head of the man who raises his head even a little, and spare him who keeps silent for he would die of his own disease."

Abdul Malik died in Shawwal 86 A.H. at the age of 63. Ihalbi says that Abdul Malik used to say, "I was born in Ramadan; I was weaned in Ramadan; it was in Ramadan that I finished the Qu'rân; in Ramadan I attained the age of discretion; in Ramadan I was made the heir apparent; in Ramadan I was made caliph and I am afraid I shall die in Ramadan." But when the month of Ramadan passed he was relieved but he died in Shawwal (the month following Ramadan).

One day a woman came to Abdul Malik and said, "My brother has died leaving six hundred dinars. I am being given only one dinar in inheritance and was told that I deserve only this much." He immediately called Shabi and asked him about it. He said, "The distribution is quite right. The deceased has left two daughters. They get two-thirds, that is 400 dinars and the mother gets one-sixth, that is 100 dinars, the wife one-eighth, that is 75 dinars and 12 brothers will each be getting 24 dinars. Therefore she will get only one dinar at this rate."

No comments:

Post a Comment