Great
excellence of self-sacrifice
Dear Islamic brothers! The foregoing
parable contains innumerable Madanī pearls for us. On the one hand, our beloved
Ghauš-e-Azam عَلَيْهِ رَحْمَةُ اللهِ الْأَكْرَمِ
set an excellent example of self-sacrifice by giving food and money to the
young man even in the state of extreme starvation and poverty, on the other,
there are we, the so-called devotees of Ghauš-e-A'zam. Our condition is that
even if we eat the meal of the Niyaz of Giyārhwin, we miss no opportunity to
gobble food voraciously, depriving others of their share.
O admirers and devotees of
Ghauš-e-A'zam! Whenever your Nafs tries to make you devour food in big morsels
without chewing them properly while eating with others, recall the foregoing
parable of Ghauš-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ اللهِ تَعَالَى
عَلَيْهِ as well as the following Hadīš of the Holy Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ وَآلِهِ وَسَلَّم:
"Whoever gives the thing that he needs for himself to any other person,
Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ will forgive
him."
(Ihyā-ul-'Ulūm, pp.
779, Vol. 9)
10. A
strange way of staying awake
Advising his disciples and devotees,
Ghauš-e-Azam عَلَيْهِ رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ الْأَكْرَمِ
said, الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ عَزَّوَجَلَّ
I spent 25 years of my life in the jungles of Iraq. I managed to offer 'Isha
and Fajr Şalāh with the same Wudū for 40 years. Similarly, I kept the routine
of reciting the whole Quran, for 15 years, in Nafl Şalāh after 'Ishā. At the
beginning, I would fasten a rope around my waist and tie the other end of the
rope to a hook in the wall so that I would not fall asleep.
(Bahjat-ul-Asrār, pp.
118)
One night, when I intended to
perform my usual worship, my Nafs suggested that I take a little rest first and
perform worship afterwards. At the very same moment and place where that
thought occurred to me, I recited the whole Quran standing on one leg.
(Bahjat-tul-Qādiriyyah)
11.
Help of a person in the grave
On Wednesday 27th Żul-Hijjah, 529
A.H., Shaykh ‘Abdul Qadir Jīlānī قُدِّسَ سِرُّهُ
الرَّبَّانِي along with a Qāfilah of Islamic scholars and pious men visited
the grave of his honourable teacher Shaykh Hammad عَلَيْهِ
رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ الْحَوَّادِ in the 'Shuniziyah' cemetery. Ghauš-e-Azam
رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ
kept making supplication at the grave till it became scorching sunny. As he رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ returned, his face
showed signs of delight. He رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى
عَلَيْهِ was asked as to why he made supplication for so long. He رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ replied: On Friday,
15th Sha'bān 499 A.H., I and my respected teacher Shaykh Hammad رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ who is resting in
this grave were on our way to Jāmi'-ur-Ruşāfah with a Qāfilah to offer Şalāt-ul-Jumu'ah.
On the way, while crossing a bridge, Shaykh Hammad عَلَيْهِ
رَحْمَةُ اللهِ الْحَوَّادِ suddenly pushed me, causing me to fall
into a canal. It was very cold but I recited بِسْمِ
الله and made the intention for Friday bath. Having performed bath,
I came out, squeezed the water from my woollen robe and joined the Qāfilah.
The disciples of Shaykh Hammad عَلَيْهِ رَحْمَةُ اللهِ الْحَوَّادِ began to laugh, but
he رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ
rebuked them saying, 'I did so just to test 'Abdul Qadir and I found him as
strong as a rock.' Ghauš-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ
تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ further said, 'While supplicating, I saw
my respected teacher Shaykh Hammad عَلَيْهِ رَحْمَةُ
اللهِ الْحَوَّادِ in his grave, dressed in clothes
embroidered with diamonds with a ruby crown on his head, golden bracelets
around his hands and golden shoes in his feet, but the odd thing was that his
right hand was not moving. I asked him the reason for it, he replied,
"This is the hand whereby I shoved you, causing you to fall into the
canal. Will you forgive me?" I forgave him. He then said, "Please
make supplication to Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ
so that He enables me to use my right hand." I prayed to Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ and five thousand saints of Allah said آمين from inside their graves. By the grace of
Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ he became able to use
his right hand. He then shook hands with me out of happiness.'
The news spread throughout Baghdad.
Listening to it, the disciples of Shaykh Hammad عَلَيْهِ
رَحْمَةُ اللهِ الْحَوَّادِ were somewhat offended and made their way
to the court of Ghauš-e-A'zam رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ
تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ to enquire about it, but no one had the
courage to do so. Ghauš-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ
تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ got to know about their inner state and
said, 'Choose two Shuyūkh for the solution to this problem.' The disciples of
Shaykh Hammad عَلَيْهِ رَحْمَةُ اللهِ الْحَوَّادِ
chose Shaykh Yūsuf Ĥamdānī and Shaykh 'Abdur Rahman Kurdi رَحْمَهُمَا اللَّهُ تَعَالَى who had spiritual insight and gave
Ghauš-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ
two days' respite that both the chosen Shuyūkh should express their approval
for what Ghauš-e-A'zam had said within two days. Ghauš-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ said, إنْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ عَزَّوَجَلَّ this problem will be
solved even before you leave.' Ghaus-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ
اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ then lowered his blessed head. Seeing
that, all others present over there also lowered their heads. Suddenly, Shaykh
Yūsuf Ĥamdānī قُدِّسَ سِرُّهُ التَّوْرَانِي
entered barefoot and said, 'With Allah's command, I have just seen Shaykh
Hammad عَلَيْهِ رَحْمَةُ اللهِ الْحَوَّادِ
who asked me to go to the Madrasah of 'Abdul Qadir Jīlānī رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ and declare what
Shaykh 'Abdul Qadir Jīlānī رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى
عَلَيْهِ has said about him (Shaykh Hammad) is true.' Meanwhile, Shaykh
'Abdur Rahman Kurdi عَلَيْهِ رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ الْقَوِى
also arrived and said the same. Upon hearing that, the disciples of Shaykh
Hammad apologized to Ghauš-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ
تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ.
(Bahjat-ul-Asrār, pp.
107)
Dear Islamic brothers! The foregoing
faith-refreshing parable contains many words of wisdom for us. If our Islamic
teacher or Murshid ever carries out any such act whose logic we could not
comprehend, we should not object to it as it may result in loss for our
Hereafter. Instead, we should stick to patience, as our Ghaus-e-Azam رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ set an excellent
example of patience when his respected teacher Shaykh Hammad رَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَلَيْهِ pushed him, causing
him to fall into the canal. He made the intention of Ghusl for Jumu'ah and did
not utter even a word of complaint.
No comments:
Post a Comment