Saturday, August 22, 2026

Controlling the Nafs and Avoiding the Deception of Delicious Food

Baby fox

Some saints have seen their Nafs in physical form. In this regard, Sayyidunā Muhammad 'Alyān Nasawī has narrated, 'In the beginning, when I realised the harms of Nafs, I felt an intense hatred towards it. One day, an animal in the shape of a baby fox suddenly came out of my throat. Almighty Allah made me identify it and I became aware that it was my own Nafs. I immediately chased after it and began to stamp on it with my feet. To my utter amazement, the more I struck, the bigger it got. I said, 'O Nafs! Everything is destroyed by pains and wounds, yet you are growing to the contrary.' It replied, 'I am quite different to others. The things which are harmful to others delight me and the things which delight others are harmful to me.'

(Kashf-ul-Mahjūb, pp. 407)

We live to eat

Dear Islamic brothers! Did you see how difficult it is to overpower Nafs? Despite difficulties, we should endeavour to control it. One of the ways of controlling Nafs is to do the opposite of what it desires. For example, if it demands you to eat delicious food or eat until you are full, you should not obey it. Only eat what you need. A great saint, Dātā Ganj Bakhsh has stated, 'Hunger is the food of the Ṣiddīqīn and a path of Sulūk for the Murīd (disciple). Previously, people used to eat to survive, yet you live to eat.'

(Kashf-ul-Mahjūb, pp. 605)

Patient became doctor

It is narrated that once Sayyidunā Shaykh Khuwājaĥ Maḥbūb-e-Ilāĥī Niẓāmuddīn Auliyā fell seriously ill. His disciples told him that there was a pundit in the area who could cure people very quickly by reading some incantations. They asked for permission to take him to the pundit. He replied that he would never go to an unbeliever for any treatment. His condition worsened and he fell unconscious. The disciples took him to the same pundit. When the pundit read some incantations and blew on the great Shaykh, he immediately regained consciousness and recovered from illness.

When he found himself well, he asked the pundit, 'How did you attain this expertise?' The pundit replied, 'I have promised my teacher that I would always do the opposite of what my Nafs desires. Therefore, whenever I wish to drink cold water, I drink hot water. When I wish to eat rice, I eat bread. In this way, I have attained expertise by continuously opposing my Nafs.'

The great Shaykh then asked him, 'Tell me, does your Nafs permit you to become a Muslim?' He replied in the negative. The great Shaykh then said, 'If it is prohibiting you from becoming a Muslim, then according to your principle, you should become a Muslim by opposing your Nafs.'

These effective words of the great Shaykh had such an intense impact on the heart of the pundit that he said spontaneously, 'I repent of my unbelief and become a Muslim.' He then recited the Kalimaĥ and became a Muslim.

اَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰه عَزَّوَجَلَّ, the pundit cured Khuwājaĥ Niẓāmuddīn Auliyā physically and the Shaykh cured him spiritually in return. He cured the body of the great Shaykh and the great Shaykh cured his soul. He cured the external bodily illness of the great Shaykh, and the great Shaykh cured his inner illness of Kufr (unbelief).

صَلُّوْا عَلَى الْحَبِيْبِ ۞ صَلَّى اللّٰهُ تَعَالٰى عَلٰى مُحَمَّد

Cancer of gums

In addition to decreasing the intake of food, those who are habitual consumers of tea and Pān (betel) should also reduce their consumption of the aforementioned items. Let it not be that you reduce the intake of food, but your Nafs begins to deceive you into consuming tea and Pān in excess. Tea is harmful to the kidneys. It is safer to give up the habit of eating Pān, lime and scented aniseed and betel nut. Those who constantly chomp on these items are prone to cancer of throat, gums and mouth. Due to the excessive use of Pān, the mouth becomes red and, if the gums begin to bleed or fill with pus, then this causes the blood and pus to go into the stomach unnoticed.

Perhaps, these people will only realise this danger when, Allah forbids, they suffer from any lethal disease.

Danger of fake Kaṭṭĥā*

It is highly likely that Kaṭṭĥā is not produced in Pakistan. The greedy people who do not care about the detrimental consequences of misdeeds in the world and Hereafter add the colour used in leather-dyeing to sand and sell it as Kaṭṭĥā. As a result, Pān eaters in Pakistan become victims and suffer from various diseases.

Taste on tongue and throat only

The taste of food lasts just for a few seconds whether it is a simple barley bread or a buttered one. As soon as the morsel goes down the throat, the taste of that morsel ends. When a person eats in excess, he feels the taste of food only for a few seconds on his tongue but he may have to face its long lasting religious and worldly harms. If somebody ponders calmly, he will realize that facing prolonged accountability in the Hereafter and embracing chronic and lethal diseases just for a few minutes of pleasure is not a wise act. Therefore, it is safer and better to eat less by applying the Madanī guard to the stomach. Sayyidunā Abū Dardā has said, 'Fulfilment of a desire for a few moments' pleasure causes prolonged grief.'

Reality of delicious food

Ponder for a moment. If the delicious aromatic morsel which makes the mouth water and is eaten with joy and pleasure, suddenly comes out of the stomach due to vomit, will anybody like to even look at it? This is the reality of that delicious morsel. This point can further be elaborated with the help of the following parable.

* A thick brown liquid used in Pān.

Thought-provoking story

Once a public toilet was being cleaned and the human faeces was scattered in some part of that area. People were quickly walking past it placing handkerchiefs on their noses. All of a sudden, the faeces spoke; 'O you who are running away! Do you not recognise who I am? I am the one for which you worked so hard. You prepared me with extreme care and consumed me with immense relish. You also hid me in your bellies. How regretful that your little company has turned me into this disgusting state. Why are you running away from me? I am your delicious Biryānī; I am your oily bread; I am your tasty Qaurmah…'

No comments:

Post a Comment