Saturday, August 22, 2026

The Miracle of the Bowl of Milk: Lessons in Hunger, Contentment and the Blessed Sunnah of the Prophet ﷺ

Bowl of milk and seventy companions

Sayyidunā Abū Ĥurayraĥ has stated, 'By Allah , who has no partner! I used to tie a stone to my stomach and place it on the floor owing to extreme hunger. One day, I sat on the pathway where people walk. The Holy Prophet passed by me smilingly. Seeing me in this state, he immediately realized my condition. Then, he said, "O Abū Ĥurayraĥ!" I replied, "Labbayk (I am present) Yā Rasūlallāĥ!" He said, "Come with me." I followed him until we arrived at one of his blessed homes. Seeking permission, I entered the blessed house. Seeing a bowl of milk, the Beloved and Blessed Prophet asked his family members as to where it had come from. They replied that a companion had sent it as a gift for the Noble Rasūl. Looking at me, the Beloved and Blessed Prophet said, "O Abū Ĥurayraĥ!" I replied, "Labbayk Yā Rasūlallāĥ!" He then said, "Go and call the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ."'

Sayyidunā Abū Ĥurayraĥ has further stated that the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ were the guests of Islam. They had no houses and wealth, nor did they take help from anyone. Whenever anything came as Ṣadaqaĥ (i.e. alms) to the Beloved Prophet he used to send it to the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ without taking anything from it, and whenever the Holy Prophet received any gift, he used to send a portion of it to the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ and would eat from it. Sayyidunā Abū Ĥurayraĥ goes on to say that he felt rather distressed due to calling all the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ because just one bowl of milk could not be sufficient for all of them. He also felt that he was certainly more deserving of the milk because he would gain some strength by drinking it. He also knew that the Holy Prophet would instruct him to feed the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ when they arrived, and it would be unlikely that he would get even a few sips of the milk. But he was also aware that it was mandatory to abide by the commandment of Allah and His Holy Prophet .

He goes on to say, 'I then went to the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ and called them. They came, sought permission, entered the blessed house and sat down.' The Holy Prophet then said, 'O Abū Ĥurayraĥ!' I replied, 'Labbayk Yā Rasūlallāĥ!' The Holy Prophet said, 'Take the bowl of milk and make them drink.' I then gave the bowl of milk to the first person and after drinking as much as he could he returned the bowl to me. I kept giving the bowl of milk to one another until all of them drank milk. Then, taking the bowl of milk in his blessed hand, the Holy Prophet looked at me smilingly and said, 'O Abū Ĥurayraĥ!' I responded, 'Labbayk Yā Rasūlallāĥ!' He said, 'Now only I and you are left.' I said, 'Yā Rasūlallāĥ! You have spoken the truth.' He then said to me, 'Sit down and drink.' I sat down and began to drink the milk. He then said, 'Drink.' He kept asking me to drink until I said, 'I swear by the One who has sent you with the truth, I am not able to drink anymore.' He ordered me to give him the bowl. I handed over the bowl to him. He then glorified Allah and drank the remaining milk reciting بِسْمِ اللّٰه.

(Ṣaḥīḥ Bukhārī, vol. 7, pp. 230, Ḥadīš 6452)

سُبْحٰنَ اللّٰه! This is one of the great miracles of the Holy Prophetthat all the Aĥl-e-Ṣuffaĥ who were nearly seventy in number could not finish a small bowl of milk. Referring to this very incident, A'lā Ḥaḍrat has written the following couplet:

Kyūn janāb Bū Ĥurayraĥ ! Thā woĥ kaysā jām-e-shīr
Jis say sattar Ṣāḥibon kā dūdĥ say munĥ pĥir gayā

O Bū Ĥurayraĥ ! How was the sweet beverage!
That filled the mouth of seventy companions with milk

Independence from people

Sayyidunā Abū Yaḥyā Mālik Bin Dīnār has stated that he once told Sayyidunā Abū 'Abdullāĥ Muhammad Bin Wāsi', 'O Abū 'Abdullāĥ! Fortunate is the person who is content with just a little amount of grain and is indifferent to others.' When he heard this, he said to me, 'O Abū Yaḥyā! Glad tidings are for the person who is hungry in the morning and evening and the Almighty is pleased with him.'

(Iḥyā-ul-'Ulūm, vol. 3, pp. 90)

Ineffective advice

It is narrated that the advice of the one whose stomach is full has no effect (on others) and when he is given advice, his mind refuses to accept it.

(Nuzĥa-tul-Majālis, vol. 1, pp. 178)

Smell at time of death

Amīr-ul-Mūminīn, Sayyidunā 'Umar Fārūq A'ẓam has stated, 'Refrain from filling your stomach as it is a burden in life and foul smell at the time of death.'

(Iḥyā-ul-'Ulūm, vol. 3, pp. 90)

When you eat a lot, you also have to earn a lot

Dear Islamic brothers! Sayyidunā 'Umar Fārūq A'ẓam has spoken an outright truth. Really, not applying the Madanī guard to the stomach and eating excessively causes a heavy burden in life as the more one eats, the more he has to earn. He has to work hard to cook the food; then he has to carry its burden in the stomach. Excessive eating is detrimental to the digestive system. As a result, the one who eats excessively is burdened with excessive gas, constipation and many other problems including the burden of doctors' fee and expenses for medication. As soon as the food goes down the throat, the taste disappears and the stomach has to bear the burden for a long time. This leads to one hardship after another. Abstaining from those few moments of pleasure, if only we would develop the mindset of saving ourselves from all these heavy burdens throughout our life, and from foul smell at the time of our death!

No pleasure in worship

It is narrated that if you are in the habit of filling your stomach with food then you should not hope for the pleasure of worship. How can you have light in your heart if you do not carry out worship? And if this worship is performed without (spiritual) pleasure, then how can Nūr (light) enter your heart?

(Minĥāj-ul-'Ābidīn, pp. 107)

No comments:

Post a Comment