24.
Hungry lion
Sayyidunā Dātā Ganj Bakhsh رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ has narrated that he
once asked Sayyidunā Shaykh Aḥmad Ḥammādī Sarkhasī رَحْمَةُ
اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ the reason of his repentance. He replied,
'Once I went on a journey from Sarkhas with my camels. During the journey,
while I was passing through a jungle, a hungry lion attacked a camel of mine
and injured it severely. The camel fell on to the ground, the lion climbed up a
high cliff and began to roar. Listening to its roar, many animals gathered. The
lion came down from the cliff and tore the injured camel into pieces but did
not eat itself and went back on the cliff again. The gathered animals ate the
meat and left. Then, the lion approached the remaining carcass to eat, but a
lame fox appeared at a distance. The lion immediately left the carcass and went
back on the cliff so that the fox could eat. After the fox ate and went, the
lion approached and ate a little of the remaining carcass. (Sayyidunā Shaykh
Aḥmad رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ
said) I was watching from a distance what the lion did. Suddenly, the lion
turned its face towards me and said clearly, "Aḥmad! To sacrifice a morsel
is the attribute of dogs, the men walking on the path of truth sacrifice even
their lives." Impressed by this strange event, I repented of my sins,
distanced myself from the world and devoted myself to the remembrance of my
Creator ﷻ.'
(Kashf-ul-Maḥjūb,
pp. 383)
May Allah ﷻ
have mercy on him and forgive us without accountability for his sake!
Trust
of chicken
Dear Islamic brothers! Did you see
how the hungry lion set an excellent example of bearing hunger by sacrificing
its own prey for other animals and gave profound advice that a morsel's
sacrifice is the attribute of dogs, man should sacrifice his life. Yet sadly,
the lazy Muslims like us are not expected to sacrifice even one morsel, they
seem prepared to snatch food from other's mouth despite stuffing themselves. At
times, people fight and even kill each other just for a morsel of food. Despite
having a lot of food, some people cause violence just for a piece of bread. It
is said that there are only three such creatures that store food; human beings,
ants and rats. Apart from these three, no one else stores food. You may have
observed the trust of the chicken. After drinking water, it turns the bowl of
water upside down by placing its foot at the corner of the bowl. It believes
that Allah ﷻ who has given water now will give water
next time as well.
The pious men of Allah ﷻ possess matchless trust. Trust has also
been defined in the following words: 'To have trust in only what Allah ﷻ gives and become indifferent to what
people have.' Those having perfect trust in Allah ﷻ
possess high status in the court of Allah ﷻ.
(Risāla-tul-Qushayriyyaĥ,
pp. 169)
25.
Trusting young man
Sayyidunā Ibrāĥīm Khawāṣ رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ has narrated: Once,
on my way to Syria, I came across a pious young man who requested me to let him
stay in my company. I told him that I remain hungry. He said that he would also
manage to remain hungry, اِنْ شَآءَاللّٰہُ.
Four consecutive days passed without eating. Thereafter, someone sent us some
food which I presented to him for eating. Seeing this, he said that he had
sworn not to eat anything that came through someone. Pleased with his reply, I
said that he had indeed revealed a very great point. When he heard this, he
responded, 'O Ibrāhīm رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ!
Do not falsely praise me because Allah ﷻ
is fully aware of your trust in Him and your condition.' He further said, 'The
least level of trust in Allah ﷻ is that your heart
should not think of anyone except Allah ﷻ
in spite of suffering from prolonged starvation.'
(Risāla-tul-Qushayriyyaĥ,
pp. 168)
May Allah ﷻ
have mercy on them and forgive us without accountability for their sake!
O Allah ﷻ!
Save us from the mischief of our Nafs and Satan, and bless us with the gift of
hunger and make us Your patient and thankful servants. Amīn!
آمِیْن بِجَاہِ النَّبِیِّ الْاَمِیْن صَلَّی
اللہ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّم
صَلُّوْا عَلَی الْحَبِیْب ۔ صَلَّی اللہ
تَعَالٰی عَلٰی مُحَمَّد
26.
Sustenance searches
Sayyidunā Abū Ya'qūb Aqṭa' Baṣrī رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ has narrated: Once I
remained hungry for ten days in Makkah. Weakened by hunger, I went towards the
jungle in search of something to eat. On the way, I found an old turnip. I
heard as if a voice was saying, 'You remained hungry for ten days and this is
what is left for you, an old turnip?' I immediately left it back on the ground
and returned to the Masjid-ul-Ḥarām. Meanwhile, a non-Arab approached me and
gave me a box saying, 'This box is yours.' I asked him astonishingly as to how
the box became mine. He replied, 'We had been travelling by sea for the last
ten days; suddenly a huge storm occurred during the voyage, endangering our
boat to drown. All of us made the intentions that if Allah ﷻ saves us from the storm, we will give Ṣadaqaĥ (alms). I also made
the intention of giving this box to the person I would first see in
Masjid-ul-Ḥarām, and you are the person I have met first.'
(Sayyidunā Abū Ya'qūb رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ goes onto say) When I
opened the box, there were some pieces of cake, peeled almonds and sweets in
it. I said to myself inwardly, 'My sustenance was coming to me for ten days and
I went towards the jungle in its search.' Then, taking a little from the box
for myself and returning the rest to the person, I said, 'I have accepted this
(gift), now please take the remaining food and give it to your children as a
gift from me.'
(Risāla-tul-Qushayriyyaĥ,
pp. 169-170)
May Allah ﷻ
have mercy on him and forgive us without accountability for his sake!
Dear Islamic brothers! How firm is
the trust of the pious in Allah ﷻ! Despite remaining
hungry for ten days, when he finally got something to eat, he took a little and
returned the remainder instead of storing it for the next time. After eating a
little food, they did not have any concern or worry about the next meal. They
firmly believed that Allah ﷻ would provide
sustenance to them for as long as they are alive. This fact has clearly been
mentioned in the Holy Quran (Sūraĥ Ĥūd, verse 6).
وَمَا مِنْ دَآبَّةٍ فِی الْاَرْضِ اِلَّا
عَلَی اللہِ رِزْقُهَا
And
there is none walking on earth, but the sustenance of that is on Allah's
bounty.
[Kanz-ul-Īmān
(Translation of Quran)] (Part 12, Sūraĥ Ĥūd, verse 6)
Dear Islamic brothers! It is also
noteworthy that Allah ﷻ has certainly taken
up the responsibility for providing sustenance to everyone but He ﷻ has not taken up the responsibility for
forgiving everyone. Therefore, how unwise is the Muslim who strives day and
night for his sustenance (which has already been promised), but does not make
any effort for his forgiveness!
اَلْحَمْدُلِلّٰہِ
عَزَّوَجَلَّ! The mindset
of asking for forgiveness and success in the Hereafter is developed in the
Sunnaĥ-Inspiring Madanī Qāfilaĥs of Dawat-e-Islami.
No comments:
Post a Comment