Saturday, August 22, 2026

Raisin Sunnah, Controlling the Nafs and the Ascetic Lives of the Auliyā

To drink raisin soaked water is Sunnaĥ

Raisins used to be soaked in water for the Beloved and Blessed Prophet صَلَّی اللہ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّم. Thereafter, he صَلَّی اللہ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّم would drink the water during the next two days and sometimes till the evening of the third. After this, the servants would either drink the remaining water or pour it somewhere (because it would go bad).

(Sunan Abī Dāwūd, vol. 3, pp. 337, Ḥadīš 3713)

Raisin is a food as well as a medicine. One can eat it with or without its skin. A famous Muḥaddiš, Sayyidunā Imām Zuĥrī رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ has stated, 'He who desires to memorise Ḥadīš should consume (an appropriate quantity of) raisins.' One can also consume raisins with its seed.

Imām Zuĥrī رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ has stated that the seeds of large raisins are beneficial to stomach. Soak large raisins in water for a few hours, remove the skin, and eat the pulp. The pulp of the raisin is an effective remedy for lung problems and chronic cough. It relieves the pain of the kidney and bladder. It gives strength to the spleen and liver. It softens and strengthens the stomach and assists in the digestion of food.

Cure for cough

Take 40 small raisins (or one can take up to 80, if there is no side effect) and three almonds, recite Ṣalāt-'Alan-Nabī 11 times and blow on them and then eat them daily. اِنْ شَآءَ اللہ عَزَّوَجَلَّ, this will greatly assist in mitigating one's cough. It will prove to be an effective medicine for phlegm. The amount of small raisins can be increased, if necessary, but give children lesser amounts. Continue to take this medicine until the cough is cured.

Red raisins

Sayyidunā 'Alī کَرَّمَ اللہُ تَعَالٰی وَجْہَہُ الْکَرِیْم has stated that the person who eats 21 red raisins daily will be safe from all those ailments which he is afraid of.

(Abū Nu'aym)

17. Desire to eat egg plant

Sayyidunā Abū Naṣr Tamār رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ has narrated: اَلْحَمْدُلِلّٰہِ, Once Sayyidunā Bishr Ḥāfī رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ came to my house at night. I thanked the Almighty for the arrival of such a great saint in my house. I then said to him, 'Yā Sayyidī (O my master), we bought some meat by selling the yarn that my daughter made from the cotton that came from Khorasan city. It would be a great honour, if you would kindly join us for Ifṭār.' He رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ replied, 'If I intended to eat anywhere, I would eat at your house اِنْ شَآءَ اللہ عَزَّوَجَلَّ.' He رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ then continued, 'I have the desire to eat eggplant from many years, but I have not been able to.' I (the narrator) said, 'Yā Sayyidī! What a pleasant coincidence that we have cooked meat with eggplant purchased with Ḥalāl income.' He رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ replied, 'I will eat eggplant only when its love is removed from my heart.'

(Risāla-tul-Qushayriyyaĥ, pp. 143)

May Allah have mercy on him and forgive us without accountability for his sake!

صَلُّوْا عَلَی الْحَبِیْب ۔ صَلَّی اللہ تَعَالٰی عَلٰی مُحَمَّد

Dear Islamic brothers! Did you see how strictly our pious saints would refrain from following the desires of their Nafs? Sayyidunā Bishr Ḥāfī عَلَیْہِ رَحْمَةُ اللہِ الْکَافِی did not consume eggplant for many years opposing his Nafs. What marvellous Madanī mindset these people had! If their Nafs demanded them to eat, they would not eat; if it insisted them not to eat, they would. In short, they would always go against the desires of their Nafs.

18. Eat and drink

It is reported that the Nafs of Sayyidunā Bishr Ḥāfī عَلَیْہِ رَحْمَةُ اللہِ الْکَافِی desired to eat Bāqilā (vegetables such as peas and beans) but he did not consume it for many years, defying his Nafs. After his demise, someone saw him in a dream and asked how Allah treated him. He رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ replied, 'Giving me the glad-tidings of forgiveness, Allah said, "O you who did not eat and drink anything in the world, now eat and drink a lot!"'

(Risāla-tul-Qushayriyyaĥ, pp. 406)

May Allah have mercy on him and forgive us without accountability for his sake!

صَلُّوْا عَلَی الْحَبِیْب ۔ صَلَّی اللہ تَعَالٰی عَلٰی مُحَمَّد

19. Purpose of eating

Sayyidunā Abū Sa'īd Khazzār رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ has narrated, 'It was my routine to eat every three days. Once while travelling through a jungle, I became extremely hungry and weak. Thus, I sat at a side. Suddenly, a voice from Ghayb echoed, "Abū Sa'īd! Are you desirous of eating food to please your Nafs or do you wish to diminish your weakness without food?" I replied, "O Allah ! I only desire strength." He رَحْمَةُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ said that he immediately became so energetic and active that he travelled for 12 Manzils without eating and drinking anything.'

(Kashf-ul-Mahjūb, pp. 453)

May Allah have mercy on him and forgive us without accountability for his sake!

صَلُّوْا عَلَی الْحَبِیْب ۔ صَلَّی اللہ تَعَالٰی عَلٰی مُحَمَّد

Dear Islamic brothers! Did you see that the Auliyā of Allah do not eat for pleasure? Instead, they eat to gain strength so that they could perform worship. They are blessed with spiritual strength without eating and drinking by the special mercy of Allah . Sayyidunā Abū Sa'īd Khazzār عَلَیْہِ رَحْمَةُ اللہِ الْقَهَّار travelled for 12 Manzils without eating and drinking (by the spiritual strength bestowed upon him by Allah !) The distance covered in one day is called a Manzil, which implied that he travelled for 12 days without eating and drinking anything.

20. Hiding to avoid eating

Sayyidunā Abū Sa'īd Khazzār عَلَیْہِ رَحْمَةُ اللہِ الْقَهَّار has stated: Once I was travelling with a caravan in the state of extreme hunger. During the journey, a garden of date-palms appeared. My Nafs desired to eat dates but I refused to fulfil its desire. The caravan stayed and camped by the same garden but I went to the jungle where I hid into sand so that my Nafs would not repeatedly demand me to eat dates. After a little while, one of my travelling companions came to where I was hiding. He took me to the camp. I asked him as to how he got to know that I was there. He replied that he heard a voice from Ghayb saying, 'One of my friends is hiding in the sand, go and bring him with you.'

(Tażkira-tul-Auliyā, vol. 2, pp. 36)

May Allah have mercy on them and forgive us without accountability for their sake!

صَلُّوْا عَلَی الْحَبِیْب ۔ صَلَّی اللہ تَعَالٰی عَلٰی مُحَمَّد

اَلْحَمْدُلِلّٰہِ! Dawat-e-Islami, a global & non-political movement of Quran and Sunnaĥ, is effectively spreading the message of Sunnaĥ throughout the world. Every Muslim should join this movement for the betterment of his world and the Hereafter and make up his mind that, 'I must strive to reform myself and the people of the entire world اِنْ شَآءَ اللہ عَزَّوَجَلَّ.'

No comments:

Post a Comment